Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Today's Generation and Education

The integration of technology in the classroom is no longer just a good idea. It is imperative that we embrace the fact that education is changing. As teachers we are educating a generation like we have never seen before. This is a generation that does not remember a time before cell phones. From birth they have had interactive toys to keep their attention and entertain them. They are moving from the time they get up until the time they go to bed with one activity or another. More and more of our children have been diagnosed as having A.D.D., my own son included. It is my opinion that the children are not for the most part truely suffereing from an attention deficit disorder, they are suffering from E.D.D. sound strange????? That is because I just made that up. (Hey, somebody made up A.D.D., so why not?) It means educational disengagement disorder. We try to educate today's students in a world they simply do not understand, and cannot relate to.

Student's of today have simply adapted to today's fast paced world. As parents we keep our kids on the go or involved in something almost constantly. I know this is true for me. They are used to moving from one activity, game, tv program, etc.. to the next. But when it comes time for them to get an education, we expect them to sit quietly in neat desks, in neat rows, be quiet, and listen for at least 8 hours a day with very few breaks. How as adults would we react to that. We, like the above mentioned students, have adapted to life in a very fast paced society. We have grown used to living our lives on go. For most of us, doing what we are asking today's generation of students to do would be impossible. I know this for a fact because I personally do professional developments for teachers on a regular basis. I also know this for fact because I have been a teacher asked to sit through professional developments, and maybe you are the exception to the rule, but sitting quietly, and listening while I am getting educated is very hard for me. I take mini mental trips (usually when I needed to be listening the most).

The question is, how do we revolutionize education so that we are able to successfully reach this generation of students?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just thought you would like a comment on your blog. I like your blogging, but the site is hard for me to read because of the black background. Old folks need a lot of light for their eyes.

As for your question, each child should have a computer to do their work. The work has to be in a game form. Edna

Unknown said...

Rachel,
I like your blog. Thanks for posting and I am looking forward to your future comments.

Will Frazier said...

I think integrating technology into the classrooms would gain the attention of the students, and the intructors would recieve the feedback him/her is looking for.

Willie Frazier

Will Frazier said...

ps - Luv your Blog Mrs. Mercer

Willie Frazier